[lit-ideas] Re: Monday's Sunday Poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:32:58 -0700

Responding to those who wish to know... and you...
why there has been no poem this week,
I'm filing my excuses under tennis comma Waterloo,
noting that this time it was we the meek who inherited and so
the Wellington boot was, for once, not on the other fellow's foot.
Full details would be a bore, but imagine if you will,
as I stood square in tennis squares and whacked back all I could,
cavalry charging up hill, only to smash itself in waves upon my spins and drills,
and members of the old guard, firing many splendid volleys,
a sufficiency of which landed just too long, or wide.
Against the M.A.C., I sweated like someone of that old, red, kilted infantry.
In two singles sets, lasting more than two full hours,
my hitherto-undefeated opponent
threw all his war at me,
and lost.

It was a damn nice thing, but ultimately we had a sufficiency of the article.

http://www.napoleon.org/en/fun_stuff/dico/index.asp

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon