[lit-ideas] Re: Monday Poem

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:53:28 -0400

I'm glad you didn't throw it away, Eric.
Ursula
melting in North Bay (breaking heat and humidity records from 1948)

Eric Yost wrote:

"Life Lesson"

Through orderly canyons and complex glass cubes
we talked a way in fumes and neon names to this:
a few acres of fruit trees, a few rented rooms
that precisely measure the size of our ambition
to be the world.

You said a garden spade of soil outpopulates cities,
contains more movement than the designs of industry,
even if to the unaware, it's just a pound of humus
whitened by roots and stones, a gesture cast aside
by the hole we've dug ourselves.

So it is that our dreams simplify, our plans reduce
all origins to a handful of order, a few hard words,
or a hole in our garden.

Eric

[throwaway file '99]