[lit-ideas] Re: Moderation? Where?

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 17:05:03 -0700

Eric Yost wrote re Andreas' action:

That's a surprisingly totalitarian action on behalf of Lit-Ideas. If "dumb" is banned, we must all fall silent.

There's a difference between sending articles or links to articles if one is willing to discuss responses to them, and simply posting articles for the sake of stirring up trouble. (This is, of course, my own interpretation of MA's actions.)

There are a number of people on lit-ideas who rarely post, and a number whose posts are sometimes simply references to information on the Web, or articles cut and pasted from various sources. I'm one of the latter; so is Eric; so is Judy. But none of us simply dumps stuff on the list and walks away. Replies to replies are what sustain us.

I'm still going through Laird's piece in Foreign Affairs. I'm sure that if I have any criticisms of it, Eric (and perhaps others) will respond.
I have no such expectations in the case of MA.

Sometimes MA's posts are from sources one should pay attention to; mostly they're from sources that to call them sources is a considerable stretch.

Ideally, the purpose of the list is to discuss things. This MA has never done. PS says that we should point out where the things he posts are mistaken or questionable. At first I did that. It was like talking back to a billboard.

Marlena wonders if the advisory board might not reconsider. Lit-ideas has no advisory board. The last advisory board was one that dealt with issues on Phil Lit. It was the advisory board until it turned out that the owner of the list had the real power, and the list was dissolved by him.

Andreas has been a tremendously non-judgemental list owner. He's been tolerant as all get out. Had MA behaved on Phil Lit as he does here, he'd have lasted about 24 hours.

Robert Paul
Reed College