[lit-ideas] Mockney Accent -- and Fabian Summer School in Harlech

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 18:38:23 EDT

""Anecdotes of the English Language." The argument  was that, "the great
majority of what are called 'cockneyisms'  are not, as is commonly supposed,
corruptions of the language, but were  formerly in use among good writers, and
have
been retained by the  Londoners after the literary and the refined have given
them  up.""

That's delightful to read, thanks Ritchie.

Ritchie may have missed one little quote in the OED under 'public  school
boy':

"The guy..was the usual long-haired public schoolboy with a  Mick Jagger
mockney accent."

      by J. Williams, "Cardiff Dead", 2000, p.  94

(title for a thriller?)
What I was reading today, talking of Wales, was the three-volume biography
of Bernard Shaw (by Holroyd) and was pleased to learn he run some schools in
Wales, Harlech, to be precise. There is a LOVELY photograph (10A on the text),
captioned, "Fabian Summer School at Harlech, Wells" where the students
(pupils)  seem SO VERY HAPPY, energetic and while not gymnastist in the strict
sense, they  seem to be practising some kind of gymnastics (Shaw is seen
leading
the  group).

These two Fabians, Bearice and Sidney Webb, were _so_ photogenic. I love
them.

Cheers,

JL