[lit-ideas] Re: Moby Dick and America

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:39:47 -0500

The scholars in question try to align the Biblical stories and characters with
archeology.  According to the book, "The Bible Unearthed," basically says that
none of the OT is factual and until 700 BCE.  At that time, King Josiah was
threatened with war and disintegration of the Hebrew tribe.
He then made up the stories in question to inspire patriotism to help in the
fight with the coming enemy.

Since then, archeologists seem to have found evidence of David and possibly
King Solomon's mines.  This bit about King Josiah reminds me of how Stalin
revived all those Czarist generals to help Russians fight off the German
invaders.  I think he guessed correctly that it would greatly improve their
nationalism.

Veronica
          From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
          To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
          Date: Thursday, December 11, 2008, 5:07 PM

>>the parallelism of Isaac and Ishmael, both of whom received God's
blessing in Genesis, is seen as an ethnographic myth.

*Seen by whom ? O.K.

Scholars of the ANE. Here's a small bibliography for your interest:

Abu-Duruk, H. 1986. A Critical and Comparative Discussion of Certain Ancient
Monuments . . . in the N Arabian City of TaymaÆ<. Riyadh.

Aggoula, B. 1985. Studia Aramaica II. Syria 62: 61–76.

Bawden, G. 1981. Recent Radiocarbon Dates from Tayma. Atlal 5: 149–53.
———. 1983. Painted Pottery from Tayma and Problems of Cultural Chronology
in NW Arabia. Pp. 37–52 in Midian, Moab and Edom, ed. J. F. A. Sawyers and D.
J. A. Clines. Sheffield.

Bawden, G., Edens, C., and Miller, R. 1980. Preliminary Archaeological
Investigations at Tayma. Atlal 4: 69–106.

Cross, F. M. 1986. A New Aramaic Stele from TaymaÆ<. CBQ 48: 387–94.

Dostal, W. 1959. The Evolution of Bedouin Life. Pp. 11–34 in L’Antica
società beduina, ed. S. Moscati and F. Gabrieli. Rome.
———. 1979. The Development of Bedouin Life in Arabia Seen from
Archaeological Material. Vol. 1, pp. 125–44 in Studies in the History of
Arabia. Ed. A. H. Masri. Riyadh.

Dumbrell, W. I. 1970. The Midianites and their Transjordanian Successors.
Diss., Harvard.
———. 1971. The Tell el-Maskhûta Bowls and the “Kingdom” of Qedar in
the Persian Period. BASOR 203: 33–44.
———. 1972. Jeremiah 49:29–33. An Oracle Against a Proud Desert Power.
AJBA 1/5: 99–109.
Eph<al, I. 1976. “Ishmael” and “Arab(s)”: A Transformation of
Ethnological Terms. JNES 35: 225–35.
———. 1982. The Ancient Arabs. Jerusalem.

Görg, M. 1986. Hagar die Ägypterin. BN 33: 17–20.

Herr, L. G. 1978. The Scripts of Ancient NW Semitic Seals. Missoula, MT.

Knauf, E. A. 1983a. Midianites and Ishmaelites. Pp. 147–62 in Midian, Moab
and Edom, ed. J. F. A. Sawyer and D. J. A. Clines. Sheffield.
———. 1983b. Supplementa Ismaelitica. BN 20: 34–36.
———. 1983c. Supplementa Ismaelitica. BN 21: 37–47.
———. 1983d. Supplementa Ismaelitica. BN 22: 25–33.
———. 1984. Supplementa Ismaelitica. BN 25: 19–26.
———. 1986. Supplementa Ismaelitica. BN 30: 19–28.
———. 1988. Midian. ADPV. Wiesbaden.
———. 1989. Ismael. 2d ed. ADPV. Wiesbaden.

Marfoe, L. 1979. The Integrative Transformation: Patterns of Sociopolitical
Organization in Southern Syria. BASOR 234: 1–42.

Meyer, E. 1906. Die Israeliten und ihre Nachbarstämme. Halle.

Musil, A. 1926. The Northern Hegâz. New York.
———. 1927. Arabia Deserta. New York.

Nöldeke, T. 1864. Über die Amalekiter und einige andere Nachbarvölker der
Israeliten. Göttingen.

Potts, D. T., ed. 1983. Dilmun: New Studies in the Archaeology and Early
History of Bahrain. Berlin.

Potts, D. T. 1984. Thaj and the Location of Gerrha. Proceedings of the Seminar
for Arabian Studies 14: 87–91.
———. 1985. From Qadê to Mazûn: Four Notes on Oman, ca. 700 b.c. to 700
a.d. Journal of Oman Studies 8: 81–95.

Spieckermann, H. 1982. Juda unter Assur in der

Sargonidenzeit. Göttingen.