[lit-ideas] Re: Moby Dick and America

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 15:04:49 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Thu, 11/12/08, Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Donal: I'm going to re-write the New Testament from the
>> POV of Jesus
>
> It's called "Q," for Quelle, and
> everybody's trying to
> do it this decade.

I don't know if you have a "quelle" for this claim, but - as the "Q" of
biblical text has not been discovered - all people can do is seek to discover
it; they cannot "do it", except in the sense they might all try to "do"
Hitler's diaries. While it is unclear if "Q" is extant, anyone can surely  try
to write from Jesus' POV while largely ignoring "Q" and the Bible?

As I was plainly joking about my intentions, so I was plainly joking about
being snowed under. So I wonder whether it is paranoia induced by my current
meds or if the following is meant as pointed and sarcastic, suggesting I am
merely one for idle criticism and not actually producing anything worthwhile:-

> As for being "snowed under with possible
> projects,"
> that's a good thing. Good for you! That's certainly
> better than criticizing people's efforts and producing
> nothing.

Not sure I agree with the last sentence for these reasons:
1) valid criticism may be better than the something it criticises;
2) to criticise is also to produce something (something that in turn may be
criticised);
3) no product, no matter how uncritically produced, is beyond criticism;
4) criticism may take more "effort" that the something criticised - indeed lack
of effort is a standard criticism of many human endeavours; so, that people
have made some effort, cannot deflate criticism of what is produced;
5) some people make every possible effort and still produce s___  and s___ can
waste our time and effort more than "producing nothing" - and valid criticism
can help save us this time and effort;
6) there is too much s___ for us to engage it all because it is "people's
efforts" - to try would be mad and/or make us mad;
7)insofar as your remarks are a personal attack, they are probably all too true.

Donal
Grey Skies Thinker
England