[lit-ideas] Re: Moby Dick and America

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 22:12:39 +0100

On 10-Dec-08, at 7:07 PM, Eric Yost wrote:

..., John Gardner's _Grendel_ is a superb retelling of Beowulf from the monster's point of view.

I agree - it's been decades since I've read it but it's still with me.

I've considered writing the story of Jephthah's daughter from her point of view. It's somewhere in my possible-project notes.

This is ringing all sorts of bells, Eric. Is there a song? A poem? (The later possibility seems to be ringing particularly strongly.) Anybody?

Chris Bruce,
who's probably going to be
bothered for weeks by this
(unless someone comes to my rescue