[lit-ideas] Mitchell Paradox Redux

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 23:53:16 EST

"KNWOING WHAT IT IS LIKE TO  ..."

R. Paul calls something The Mitchell  Paradox, and writes:

>This is a nice puzle [sic] though. I  suspect that the >whole concept of
'knowing what it is like to...' is  >under-explored.

Well, I would  distinguish:

(i) It is underexplored by lack of  intrinsic interest.

or

(ii) Paul suspects it is underexplored, but it ain't.

I would try to formalize the thing in terms of Quinean predicates. Let's
have predicates A, B, ... etc.

For x having predicate A, we write:

Ax.

Now we have to introduce an 'epistemic' context. Let the epistemic context
be a predicate "K" for "know". This 'know' however, is not a know-that, i.e.
the  predicate would NOT hold between a knowing subject and a proposition. It
is
a  different kind of knowing. It holds between a knowing subject, plus what I
call  an 'erotetic' context. In Paul's phrasing, "_what_ it [as Strawson has
it,  what's 'it'?] is to be an A", where "A" stands for our original
predicate.

So if we want to formalize one of R. Paul's examples,

"I do not know what it is like to be a woman". (But does a woman: She knows
what being a woman _is_; but not what being a woman is *like*). So we have:

KNOW (Paul, [erotetic complex: what it is *like* to be, for any x, to be
A]).

Personally, I find the phrasing verbose. So, to counteract the arguments of
the form that the 'like' predicate is confusing at best and redundant at
worst,  let's simplify that predicate into:

KNOW (Paul, Ax).

This is a second-order calculus: it holds between predicates and  predicates.
It is an abstract level of thinking. It amounts to Paul now knowing  what a
_woman_ is!

In *my* case, I apply a meaning-postulate alla Carnap. Let us define  'woman'
as xx. So we have the definitional equivalence:

A = xx.

So now that I know what a woman is (a chromosomatical structure), I can say
that *I* know (but Paul doesn't) what a woman is.

I write:

KNOW (Speranza, (x) Ax --> (XX)x).

In the vernacular, Speranza knows what being a woman is; it's a chromosomal
structure.

Next.

JL