[lit-ideas] Re: Misreading

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 18:29:58 -0230

Dawkins regrets the metaphor, asks for forgiveness and and promises never to use
it again. He may be willing to make a donation to your favorite charity, if
requested.

On attributing intentional states: We typically do this in the case of dogs,
cats, maybe even ants. But nobody believes that animals, insects or Republicans
actually possess intentional states. If entities such as humans (i.e., genuinely
intentional beings) didn't exist, there would be no such phenomena as "Rover
knows it's time to go for a ride in the car because you're jiggling his leash
in front of him." Or: "Mickey believes there is a mouse inside that hole." Only
beings who can make inferences, give reasons, can be said to hold beliefs and
other intentional states.

Come to think of it, it may well be that no human agent can possess intentional
states independent of a linguistic community that attributes such states to
her.

Question: What/who is an intentional state?
Answer: Look at who is attributed to possess such states by others having such
states. (After all, Dasein does not exist independent of its understanding of
the being of Dasein.)

On vacation, with Robert Brandom on my mind,

Walter O

P.S. Anybody know of a good text that examines the accuracy of Hannah Arendt's
critique of Marx's notion of labour and freedom? (It may not be much of a
vacation, but at least my labours are my work. Vocation, vacation, tomayto,
tomatoe.)