[lit-ideas] Re: Mineral Philosophy

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 15:32:43 -0330

Those amongst us who

1) read carefully my intial question about the appropriateness of attributing
"believing - that" to a person who has no reasons for her belief-that P (never
mind good ones) and claims she doesn't need to have reasons for believing-that
P, and claims to believe-that P and

2)have followed attentively subsequent discussions,

will concur that the matter of "knowing," "knowledge" etc is not relevant to my
question. My comment was on "knowledge-*that*", as in a statement/proposition
that "P is the case," in its relation to believing-that. Whether
"knowing"/"knowledge" can legitimately be applied to trees, minerals, sticks
and stones, spiders and snakes, DNA, Adam and Eve's mutual relations, etc is
irrelevant to my question, as such "knowledge" is not propositional knowledge.
My sole point regarding knowledge-that P was that if we legitimately deny that
Alice knows-that P if she does not believe-that P, then I don't see why we
cannot legitimately deny that Alice believes-that P under the described
conditions. A subsidiary question is then what is Alice doing if not believing?
Or, if preferred, how are we to characterize her mental state?

And, yes, I assume JTB theory for my purposes here. So those amongst us who
pretend to be replying to my questions, and yet insist on hijacking the
discussion in order to cast sticks and stones against the theory, and engaging
in crass ad hominem argument, let me just say that your epistemic and moral
virtues are not showing. If we want a lecture on JTB theory, I'm sure most of
us can find someone reasonably well-informed on it, and one possessing the tact,
the basic manners, and respect for others that genuine philosophical discussion
requires.

Walter O
MUN

Quoting Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx: