[lit-ideas] Re: Milo's Excellent Adventure

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 20:55:04 -0800

Interesting story, Robert; someone said that small pets are more at risk
during the winter months when food is a bit scarce and June-July when
Juvenile predators are learning for themselves what they can eat.  Two days
ago I had an incident in this category.  I don't know whether I mentioned
here that Susan, who a long time ago said a dog wasn't a real dog unless it
was big, decided she wanted a lap-dog.  After much research she got a
"designer dog" called a Schnoodle, half Miniature Schnauzer and half
Miniature Poodle.  His name is Duffy.  He will be six months old on 11-27
and weighs about 14 pounds.  He will get larger but may not make it all the
way to 20 pounds.

Two days I saw something very large land in one of the Bottle trees in the
back yard.  The branch sagged from its weight.  Later I concluded it was a
very large red-shouldered hawk.  Crows had driven it into my tree.  I looked
around for Duffy and found him downstairs with the girls (my two Ridgebacks)
looking through the glass doors at the crows.  We went out in back where I
tried to see the hawk more closely.  All this attention must have been too
much for him, for he took off flying above the houses off toward some farm
land.  Duffy watched him carefully as he flew off.

This incident alarmed Susan when I told her about it.  Is Duffy at 14 pounds
too large for hawks?  Maybe some hawks but not the very large ones.  But
this hawk had probably been after crows.  Crows are on the red-shouldered
hawks menu.  Duffy is probably safe from hawks.  But in my subsequent search
I learned that owls may represent a greater risk.  They like to hang about
on tree limbs and swoop down on prey.  I read reports of very small dogs
being caught up and carried off by owls.  Also, a dog weighing 19 pounds was
mauled by an owl.  He couldn't carry this dog off, but he could kill it and
eat it on the ground which he would have done had he not been interrupted.
This dog was taken to the vets but didn't survive.

I haven't heard any owls in my trees.  Perhaps my crows would object to them
as well.  Someone assumed that my girls were probably always out there with
Duffy, but that isn't true.  They all have access to the doggy doors and the
backyard is far more of an adventure for Duffy than it is for my RR girls
who would rather sack out in my study.

We do have coyotes on the perimeter of our neighborhood, but I don't think
they would brave the distance to our backyard.  As to the coyotes at the
river, the girls chase them; so they aren't a problem there, and Duffy
always stays on leash with me.  Duffy is Susan's lapdog, but he thinks he is
a real dog and wants to go on all our hikes with us.  It is possible that
his experiences at the river may make him alert enough to spot an owl or
hawk coming after him, and he is pretty macho for a little guy.  He might
try to fight it -- as Milo did the coyote.

Lawrence