[lit-ideas] Re: Military mercenaries and Greene and movies

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:46:45 -0500

TP:
Is it just me, or does anyone else enjoy most film adaptations of Greene's work while having little interest in the novels?<<

I read Graham Greene when I was in high school and loved him then. I read "The Heart Of The Matter", "The End Of the Affair", "A Burnt Out Case" and "The Power And The Glory." I've only seen one movie made from his novels and that was "The End Of The Affair." The novel was much better as I remember it. I don't know if I've read the "Quiet American" -- I think not, I think it was "The Ugly American" that I read -- or maybe I've read both. All I can remember is getting angry at the American. I don't know that I would like GG at this stage of my life. Now my tastes are strongly towards Pynchon -- when I can work up the energy to read him that is. He ain't easy.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Teemu Pyyluoma" <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>