[lit-ideas] Military mercenaries and Greene and movies

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 05:47:12 -0700 (PDT)

Something just hit me, I really don't understand what you are talking about,
some bodyguards working for Blacksomething corporation involved in a shooting
controversy? Which speaks volumes of how Iraq war is covered here, that is
increasingly less, and I'd bet the same for most parts of the world. People
just simply map Iraq with Czechnya, Gaza and other perpetual war places. From
reporter's perpective, why risk your life covering a war people are tired of
hearing about?

Speaking of boredom, looking for some light literary entertainment, I picked up
Graham Greene's Brighton Rock. I am about half-way through and unlikely to
finish. Is it just me, or does anyone else enjoy most film adaptations of
Greene's work while having little interest in the novels? I guess what I am
after is that it seems to me that morality plays make fine cinema and boring
books, but is this about how we approach different mediums or something
integral to them? How a novel like The Quiet American about Iraq would be
received today? And if it was a movie?

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland