[lit-ideas] Re: Mike's acumen in judging Spencer

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 12:29:17 -0500

>>Well, Mike, you don't have it quite right about Christianity.  You have the
>>time frame wrong.  After the Peace of Westphalia in 17th century, the
>>Catholics and Protestants were still in power -- that is, those who were in
>>power were either Catholics or Protestants<<

Yes, but the power and influence of the papacy was dramatically reduced by the
end of the 17th Century.  It was primarily the Catholic Church that for at
least 600 years waged terrorist warfare against those she thought opposed to
the faith.  Since the beginning of the 17th Century, except for the Papal
States in Italy which remained (more or less) under the sovereignty of the
Papacy until 1861 (and Vatican City to this day), no Western country has been
under the rule of or had to share power with a religious leader -- not so far
as I know, but I readily admit that my knowledge of history is spotted.  That's
not to say that there weren't crimes against humanity committed by both
Catholic and Protestant kings and queens who under the principle cuius regio,
eius religio were only too willing to chop off the heads of the other.  But
then it was all about secular power, not religion, though religion was often
the pretext for the assault.  Is it any better to die for the state than for
God?  No, but the state is more accessible to control than religion.

 >>School is still out as to whether Secularism is making a better world for us
 >>in the West than the Christianity it is replacing.<<

For you it may be still out, but not for me.  I know beyond any doubt that I
don't want any priests, preachers, mullahs or rabbis in charge of the police.
Thank you very much.

Mike Geary
Memphis

  From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Date: Thu, Aug-9-2007 6:29 AM
  As I said previously, I haven't read these books and doubt that I ever will,
so I can't comment on them specifically.  I can, however, state my belief that
the titles of the books give me little hope that they are a serious critique of
Islam, but rather the assertions of a bigot in pursuit of a personal agenda.
You realize don't you, Lawrence, that there are one and a half billion Muslims
in the world.  To try to characterize Islam is about as meaningful and trying
to characterize Christianity.  One can sumarize a few common beliefs among the
multitude of Christian sects, but the import of those beliefs in the moral and
ethical life of the adherents is so disparate as to be meaningless..  The
assertion that Christianity is a religion of peace is laughable.  From the time
of Charlemagne to the Peace of Westphalia was a period of relentless
bloodletting by the Christian Church.  Heretics, Jews, Muslims, witches,
infidels, for a thousand years all were butchered in furtherance of the
Christian faiths.  Just 60 years ago the Christian nations of Europe (and
America) threw themselves into an orgy of death of destruction unparrelled in
human history.  Peaceful?  We do tolerate each other's beliefs now -- somewhat
-- but not because Christianity is peaceful, rather because the peoples of the
Western nations threw off the yoke of religious leadership for secular
leadership.

  >> Is that what you think, Mike?   That the Christians shouldn't have opposed
the onward expansive march of Islam?  That would explain a lot if that's what
you think, since that is what present day Islamism is about, i.e., resuming
Mohammad's Jihad that is supposed to end only when the entire world has bowed
its knee to Allah and Mohammad.<<

  I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume this isn't a
serious question.

  >>The last title [The Truth about Muhammad: Founder of the World's Most
Intolerant Religion.] suggests that Spencer is going to be critical of Mohammad
himself...But what is there in this that makes Mike think Spencer an intolerant
bigot?  Because he attacks the founder of a religion and the religion itself?<<

  The title of the book, Lawrence, says it all.  Surely even you can see that.

  Mike Geary
  Memphis

    From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Date: Wed, Aug-8-2007 1:30 PM
    Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: One of the better fatwa's
    LH:
    >>If I have offended your Leftist sympathies for the Jihadists and
Islamists, feel free to send me your fatwa.

    No, you haven't offended my leftist sympathies for anyone or anything, I
was just curious as to why you sent the post.  Was it just another rant against
Islamists?  That's what I assumed at first, but then you did quote from someone
as if that were evidence of something. -- I couldn't figure out what the
something is.  I've never heard of Spencer so I can't comment on whether or not
I think the lawsuit is justified or not.  The titles of his books suggest that
he is an intolerant bigot, but one can't go by that, perhaps he was being
ironic.  If your motive was to get a good laugh at the idiot who spoke of
ripping Spencer's spine, etc, well, you know, we have Rush Limbaugh and Bill
O'Reilly and Ann Coulter, they have their idiots as well.  Trash talking is the
solace of the impotent.  I pay it no mind.

    Mike Geary
    Memphis

      From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx