[lit-ideas] Re: Middle East

  • From: Eric <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:48:05 -0500

Judy: "Underlying US personal attitudes and national policy
has been a conviction that Arabs should aspire to a future based
upon learning to be like us, as Israelis are."

Let's accept the shorthand term "Arab" and table objections to it. Though I'm sure people always want Others to be more like them, the objections to Arab culture are a lot less narcissistic. In fact, the argument could be turned on its head.

It's militant Islamic culture that wants the whole world to be like it is. They execute people for sharing Bibles, jail their migrant workers for holding private Christian house church sessions, and seek to extend the realm of the faithful over the entire world.

>>"most students of the Middle East believe the West can prosper in its
relationships ..."

Again, a big difference. Columbia University has a department of Middle East studies as do many major universities in the West. Do the universities in Riyadh or Tehran have departments of Western or American studies? They may offer extra credits in flag burning but I doubt they even imagine such a thing.

They are the bigots and exceptionalists, the culture of one view. Yet when we call them on it, we also (in our characteristic self-critical thoughtfulness) also consider that we are asking them to be like us. If Islamic culture required wearing skateboards on one's head and praying to the moon, that would be fine to most Americans, as long as Islamics weren't trying to destroy those who reject the skateboard and the moon worship.