[lit-ideas] Re: Michigan

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:14:12 -0400

someone wrote: There is a statue of Cadillac because he founded and settled Detroit. It
was not just a fort but a village. It's the narrowest part of the Detroit
River between Michigan and Windsor, Ontario, hence the name. In the
winter, one can walk across. That is, if immigration authorities would
allow it.

This is news to me. The Detroit River is about 800 metres wide and moves at about 5 knots. To give you an idea how much water is going through there -- have you ever been to Niagra Falls? Almost ALL the water that goes over there goes through the Detroit River. My point is that it rarely freezes at all and at worst, it is full of very fast moving, ice-burgy chunks that get washed down from Lake St. Clair. To walk across the Detroit River, you'd have to take the Ambassador Bridge. It's too bad that they don't let you do that anymore.

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada