[lit-ideas] Re: Michael Moore and other 'nutters'

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 05:24:18 -0700 (PDT)

--- Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> O.K. writes
>
> > I am not sure that Icke would count as a left-wing
> > nuts - he is also opposed to environmentalism,
> that's
> > why the reptilians are green.
>
> I, too, would not call Icke left-wing.

*The agreement is, I suspect, superficial only, for I
would strive to use 'left-wing' as a descriptive not
an evaluative term. (Stalin, the Gang of Four, Kim
Yong-Il and others are among the left-wingers whose
comrade I would not particularly like to be.) I should
probably apologize for not having made this clear
previously, but maybe another time.

(But?) he is
> not opposed to
> environmentalism as such:

*Actually, I should have specified that he does not
appear to be a left-winger in the current Western
sense. But beyond the fleeting concerns with issues
such as the environment, sexual education, affirmative
action, world revolution etc., the left-wing seems to
be best defined by its rigid secularism. I have to
admit that I know nothing of Icke's ideas in this
respect. (I don't mean his religious beliefs, though I
know nothing of them either.)

> In terms of the conspiracies, some people talk about
> how the environmental
> groups are being manipulated. But, what tends to
> happen from this
> perspective is that the environmental people get
> dubbed as "communists" or
> "agitators. Environmentalists that I have met are
> genuine people who want
> to clean this planet up and leave it a better place
> than they found it.
> What we need to say to them is "we respect what you
> do, but just have a
> look at the top of the pyramid of the environmental
> movement, and you will
> find that all the major people who are screaming
> about the environment are
> the same people on a corporate level who are ripping
> the environment
> apart." One fellow named Maurice Strong, a Canadian
> oil millionaire, very
> close to the Rockefellers, was the first UN
> environmental agency head and
> the head of the 1992 Earth Summit in Brazil. I know
> many genuine people who
> went to the Earth Summit, and when I explained to
> them who was running that
> show, they were stunned, because they were genuine
> people who were not
> "street wise".

*This is interesting - perhaps Icke is a left-winger
after all ? Should we say, a disillusioned left-winger
?

O.K.

Yahoo! Domains ? Claim yours for only $14.70/year