[lit-ideas] Michael Moore and other 'nutters'

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 20:47:21 -0400

At 05:20 PM 5/22/04, you wrote:
>I can't wait to see the film, but I'm afraid it's pretty much preaching to
>the choir.  Does anyone think it likely to have any real impact on the
>general
>population?
I don't think that Michael Moore is JUST preaching to the choir. I hardly
agree with anything he says and especially in the petulant way he says
them, but I love his movies. because apart from revealing HIS "truth", they
are enjoyable. He's a funny guy sometimes. He's also really childish,
crass, a big suck [literally], infelicitous with editing and frankly,
sometimes completely full of shit; but that's also entertaining sometimes.
I think you are right Julie that he'll never be mainstream because he's
just SOOOOO far left. He's moore extreme than Nader. So, others will hear
his message, but many will say "yeah, whatever Mike!" Just like with his
other movies. Afterall, most people are calling the movie "Fahrenheit
nine-eleven" which I hardly think he meant it to be*. And if that IS what
Moore called it, then HE's the dimwit!

*I was always taught it was "four five one" not "four-fifty-one". Am I
mistaken? If I am, then I'm the dimwit!

Oh, and speaking of whack jobs, I read a book yesterday that really makes
Michael Moore look normal and Noam Chomsky look positively sane. It was
called "the Biggest Secret" by a guy named David Icke. Well, I am
flabbergasted at what this guy writes. How he does NOT get charged with 100
counts of libel I'll never know. He calls nearly every leader and past
leader of the past 40-50 years in the world a 'paedophile' and accuses
hundreds of very famous people with incredible acts of what he calls
'satanism'. His book is amazingly racist, it's stupid, it's remarkably
idiotic and yet it's so compelling that I read it straight through without
stopping. He actually seems to believe that there is a secret reptilian
race that controls the Earth's society. He invokes Blavatsky, Reich,
Velikovsky, Crowley and many other 'nutters' as he mockingly accuses them
of being in others' words. He seems to have swallowed them whole.

At times, he sounds like a raving lunatic, at others, sometimes on the same
page, his argument is cogent and interesting until he tries to draw a
conclusion to propel his insane ideas. He has taken conspiracy theories to
a whole new level. Through reading the book (he has lots of references to
his other books) I get the impression that he has been 'at it' for quite
some time. I must admit I was shaking my head through most of the hours I
read. I out-and-out laughed at least 10 times at the absolutely ludicrous
stuff he writes. Has anyone read anything by this guy? He seems to be
mentally disturbed, but hey, maybe we live in fictitious times and live
fictitious lives and Icke is right.

If nothing else, it's quite the history of lunatics. I hope this is Lou
Reed's idea of what "taking a walk on the wild side" might be. I've walked
there now, and I kind of like my side a bit better. All I can says is "icke!"

paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Leamington, ON