[lit-ideas] Re: Micawber & Co.

  • From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: david ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 16:14:05 -0700

Speranza had a vested interest in the Falcon Islands War, and stories about the Gurkhas he didn't think were at all funny -- he was an Argentine at times.

Lawrence

On 8/12/2020 3:11 PM, david ritchie wrote:

On Aug 12, 2020, at 3:05 PM, Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

David,

While appreciating your theater humor, I on the other hand I've been rereading the British historian, Max Hasting's /Retribution. /He writes on page 32 (and for old time's sake you may recall that Esperanza desperately hated the Gurkhas) "a British brigade commander in Burma once declined to accept a report from the 4/1st Gurkhas about the proximity of 'Nips.'  Their colonel, Derek Horsford, dispatched a patrol to gather evidence.  Next day, Horsford left three Japanese heads, hung for convenience on a string, beside his commander's desk.  The brigadier said: 'Never do that again.  Next time, I'll take your word for it.'"  Might just be my Marine Corps training, but I thought that was funny. :-)

I have taken a break from Saul David, “Crucible of Hell,” because I’m preparing for a new round of online teaching and because there’s only so much misery and atrocity I can deal with.  I don’t recall Esperanza hating Gurkhas.  Why would that be?  My last encounter with them was at the World Pipe Band championship in Glasgow.  They were good.

David