[lit-ideas] Metaphysical Flat-Earthers vs. Metaphysical Round-Earthers

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 13:09:58 -0500 (EST)

spherical, ellipsoid.

Grice: While science is the realm of hypothesis, metaphysics is  the realm
of hypostasis.

In a message dated 2/24/2013 11:20:30 A.M. UTC-02,
_donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxx.uk_ (mailto:donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx)   writes:
"I wasn't aware Magee was one of the list's favourite philosophers (and he
is not an original philosopher so much as an expositor and commentator):
certainly what he says about the 'linguistic turn' and other failings in
academic analytical philosophy in his Confessions of a Philosopher would seem
to  go against the grain for most - unless perhaps you're a Popperian. Magee
is  clear that there is more serious interest in philosophy outside the
ranks of  professional philosophers than inside those ranks - these and other
startling  claims are cogently defended in that very worthwhile book which I
commend to the  list. (When he refers to most academic philosophers as
'metaphysical  flat-earthers' he uses a phrase that I had previously used
myself -
in Finals,  in a paper where I received a very low mark, which some will
say serves me right  but which some will say shows the calibre of academic
markers.)"

Further references:

"No doubt, that admission -- based on hard evidence -- will cost him  his
bathroom key to the metaphysical Flat Earther's faculty lounge."

"Ryle, like many in the Oxford School, may be characterised as a
'metaphysical flat-earther' : the world is metaphysically flat, not  layered."

KEYWORDS:

Metaphysical Flat-Earther
Metaphysical Round-Earther

----