[lit-ideas] Re: Mercedes Paul

  • From: Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 21:13:08 -0400

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 7:34 PM, John McCreery<john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What a wonderful memory of your mother! Condolences on the loss of Bill.
> Reminds me of something my brother said after our father died. It's a hell
> of a thing to get up in the morning, look in the mirror and realize that we
> are the older generation.
> John

Sometimes we forget that it doesn't matter how old you get,
things are basically the same. My paternal grandmother died
last year at 98. My father was 72 at the time. After her
death, he said, like a little boy (but without the
hysterics) matter-of-factly "I don't know what I'm gonna do
without me mum."

I certainly can't imagine life without my dear ole dad. I only hope my
son feels the same way one day. That's all we really have as a legacy.
I encourage everyone to read Hofstadter's "I am a strange loop". It
actually managed to give this middle-aged doubter some optimism.