[lit-ideas] Re: Men are NOT useless

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:43:23 -0500

I guess there aren't too many ways to interpret a statement that the Y
AC: chromosome is becoming extinct, even if it's in astronomical time, around
the time dinosaurs will return to earth.  Rest assured, Paul, men are NOT
useless.  Men are wonderful, necessary, the world couldn't live without
them.  Women couldn't live without them either.  Those last two sentences
is what Maureen is saying (I only heard her, I didn't read the book).  She
isn't against men.  She isn't against women either.  She thinks the women's
movement failed.  She's just analyzing the new situation the way she sees
it.  The statements about Bush stand, but it does make me want to go to the
library and see if they have the book.  If they do, maybe I'll read it.
But trust me, Paul, you guys are wonderful.  And trust me also, Maureen
would agree.

I just think she needs to take her tongue OUT of its permanent fixture in her lovely soft cheek. A lot of the times she talks, it doesn't SEEM like she's joking even though I suspect she might be trying to. Her writing ranges [judging from the numerous articles I've read in the past 10 years] from inane to mildly astute to ridiculous forecasting. I don't much like most of her ideas.

As for the feminization of society... it's already happened. Its effects might even have more inertia than 'global warming', but whatever. I think men can still be men without acting like macho jackasses. The jackass part is only PART of who we are.

Proudly Partly Eeyore
Pooh-Pooh Corner, Ontario