[lit-ideas] Re: Memphis is third worst

  • From: carol kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 15:40:00 -0700

Mike,
Back when I was living in the other Oxford (Mississippi), I looked upon
Memphis as the promised land. Unlike Jackson (Mississippi, not Michael), it
feels like a real city, has a real center, with real horses and buggies
waiting to take tourists on (not for) a ride outside the posh hotel. Sure it
was stifling hot in July--crazy not to be--but no hotter than, say, Austin
(Texas, not Powers), which is on everyone's Best Town list lately. It's time
to rehabilitate the image of Memphis. You start.

CarolK