[lit-ideas] "Memorial to the Unknown Tree," by David Ritchie

  • From: Eric Yost <NYCEric@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 00:11:22 -0500

I, for one, wouldn't have any complaints about Mr. Ritchie's Memorial To
The Unknown Tree if it weren't so damn noisy.

____

Laurels-Swan-Locust, Inc.
Memorial to the Unknown Tree by David Ritchie Foundation
1611 Memorial to the Unknown Tree Road
Ritchie, VA 20010

Mr. Mike Geary
Catholic Workers Party
589 St. Bart's Refractory Period
Memphis, TN

Dear Mr. Geary:

Thank you for taking the time to write to us with your concerns about
"Memorial to the Unknown Tree," by David Ritchie. The thoughts,
suggestions, and downright squalid pen droppings of people like you are
very important to us, as they help us develop concepts that can better
serve you and your community.

Yes, "Memorial to the Unknown Tree," by David Ritchie is very noisy.
Many have written us to voice their dissatisfaction with the project,
claiming that this is what Mr. Ritchie would have wanted. "The sound!
The sound!" one correspondent in Wilton, MA wrote, "always the sound!"

Others have written to express what truly excellent bad art it is--the
best they have ever not enjoyed. "Four hours of noisy falling caused me
to projectile vomit into a museum guard's outstretched arms," writes a
friend in Diego Blarney, CA, "Enclosed please find a bill for the dry
cleaning of one man's blazer."

Again, thank you for writing. Your comments have been added to Mr.
Ritchie's giant parchment scroll, which will be nailed to the door of
the National Cathedral in Washington, DC, on July 4, 2005, with music by
John Adams and the Harlem Children's Choir.

Enclosed find two complimentary tickets to the event, which another way
  we hope to express our appreciation for your commitment to arts in
your community.

With sincere appreciation,

Hamlin Abracoln
Chief Expletive Officer
Memorial to the Unknown Tree by David Ritchie Foundation

cc: MG, DR, HA
encs.