[lit-ideas] Memoirs of a Fox-Hunting Man

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 11:23:43 EST

-- That's title of S. Sassoon's biography. My references were to G. Smith's
book, and thanks to J. Evans for reminding us it's illegal in England/Wales.

More from Smith, "The English Season":

"The Shires of England are renowned the world over in hunting circles for
housing most of the well-known packs of foxhounds. The three most fashionable
packs are considered to be:

(i) Quorn (Leics, Derbys, and Notts)

(ii) The Belvoir (Leics, and Lincs)

and

(iii) The Beaufort (Glos, Som, and Wilts).

Visitors wishing to ride with a particular hunt should contact the
secretary. Description of packs and details of the secreatry and other staff
can  be
found in Baily's Hunting Directory (published by Burlington, Windsor, Berks
SL4
1BG). Other info about the sport can be obtained from the British Field
Sports Society, London SE1 7PZ.

Usually, the opening meet of a hunt takes place on the Saturday nearest  Nov.
1, and hounds generally meet at 11 a.m. From that day onwards a full
subscription or 'cap' is expected and visitors are required to introduce
themselves
to the Master and to pay their cap and field money.

Fixture details can be found in Horse and Hound magazine, published every
Friday (King's Reach Tower, London SE1 9LS).

"It is difficult to decide whether fox hunting was invented for the benefit
of the Dukes of Beaufort, or whether the Dukes of Beaufort were invented to
hunt  the fox."
       Barry Campbell, The Badminton  Tradition, cited by G. Smith.

"Fox hunting promotes conservation. For example,many hedgerows and woods
would be gone if it were not for hunting." (Smith, p. 169).

"spellbinding: the unison of man, horse, and hounds working in accord is
totally compelling. It's hard to explain to someone who's not done it"

(Smith -- and cfr. R. Paul, What it is like to fox-hunt.)

"I've been recently in places like Sodbury Common in West Littleton,
beautiful places you just don't see from a car; places I didn't know existed"
(Smith, p. 171)

J. L.