[lit-ideas] Re: Member Issues

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 16:37:36 -0700

 Judy wrote re 'they'

certainly sounds like me... I can't see a feminist angle, there's already the
gender-neutral professor, over there.

The feminist aspect appears where one would once have written e.g. 'Every student is to bring three colored markers to his first class,' one may (if one isn't a fan of his/her. etc.) write, 'Every student is to bring three colored markers to their first class,' thus avoiding the default to the masculine pronoun.

Oh. I see. You were talking about 'faculty' as a count noun. The justification for using it so is non-existent.

Robert Paul,
teaching one course, therefore .11 of an authority