[lit-ideas] Melvyn Bragg on Paul Grice

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 16:34:52 -0500 (EST)

Of course, Paul Grice would NEVER ('rather been seen dead' perhaps
overimplicates) have used "Paul Grice" while in Oxford: it was always "H. P."
--
"what's the good of having two Christian names if you're having to show
them",  the public school boy in him would have as motto --.

But in any case, the link was provided by Donal McEvoy, who mentioned Monk
as a contributor. It would be good to excerpt a few passages from the
programme  -- at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03ggc19

in audio form, only, alas.

It comes with some written stuff which I append below.

As I was saying, Bragg (and the other contributors) fail to quote Grice,
who did quite a bit towards the interpretation of 'ordinary language
philosophy'  as a 'programme', if not a radio programme.

Vide Travis, "Annals of Analysis" -- a review of Grice's opus magnum, WoW
-- Way of Words.

Of course, it may be said that, like Popper, and in different ways, though,
 Grice was critical of Oxonian analysis per se. For one, he regretted that
Austin  never considered seriously the idea of 'implicature', and kept
confusing 'mean'  with 'imply' and 'expression' with 'utterer'.

(Never mind Witters).

On the other hand, Austinians would rush to Grice and criticise him for
never allowing the distinction between perlocution and illocution. "You
confuse  them", Neil Wilson told him. Grice's curt retort:

"I may be MISTAKEN, not _confused_."

Cheers,

Speranza

From site cited above:
Ordinary Language Philosophy
Duration:
43 minutes
First  broadcast:
Thursday 07 November 2013
Melvyn Bragg and his guests discuss  Ordinary Language Philosophy, a school
of thought which emerged in Oxford in the  years following World War II.
With its roots in the work of Ludwig Wittgenstein,  Ordinary Language
Philosophy is concerned with the meanings of words as used in  everyday speech.
Its
adherents believed that many philosophical problems were  created by the
misuse of words, and that if such 'ordinary language' were  correctly analysed,
such problems would disappear. Philosophers associated with  the school
include some of the most distinguished British thinkers of the  twentieth
century, such as Gilbert Ryle and JL Austin.
With:
Stephen  Mulhall
Professor of Philosophy at New College, Oxford
Ray  Monk
Professor of Philosophy at the University of Southampton
Julia  Tanney
Reader in Philosophy of Mind at the University of Kent
Producer:  Thomas Morris.  Show less
Melvyn Bragg and his guests discuss Ordinary  Language Philosophy, a school
of thought which emerged in Oxford in the years  following World War II.
With its roots in the work of Ludwig Wittgenstein,  Ordinary Language
Philosophy is concerned with the meanings of words as used in  everyday speech.
Its
adherents believed that many philosophical problems were  created by the
misuse of words, and that if such 'ordinary language' were  correctly analysed,
such problems would disappear....  Show more
Add  "In Our Time, Ordinary Language Philosophy" to Favourites Add "In Our
Time,  Ordinary Language Philosophy" to Favourites

Share this  page
Share this page
Share
Facebook
Twitter
QR code
LINKS  AND FURTHER READING
Stephen Mulhall at the University of Oxford

Ray  Monk at the University of Southampton

Julia Tanney at the University of  Kent

John Langshaw Austin - Stanford Encyclopedia of  Philosophy

Gilbert Ryle - Stanford Encyclopedia of  Philosophy

Ordinary language philosophy - Wikipedia

READING  LIST:

J. L. Austin, How to Do Things with Words (Various  editions)

J. L. Austin, Philosophical Papers (Various editions)

J.  L. Austin, Sense and Sensibilia (Oxford University Press, 1979)

A. J.  Ayer and others, The Revolution in Philosophy (Macmillan, 1956)

Avner  Baz, When Words Are Called For: A Defense of Ordinary Language
Philosophy  (Harvard University Press, 2012)

Ernest Gellner, Words and Things  (Routledge, 2005)

Peter Hacker, Wittgenstein's Place in Twentieth-Century  Analytic
Philosophy (Blackwell, 1996)

Sandra Laugier, Why We Need  Ordinary Language Philosophy (University of
Chicago Press, 2013)

Bertrand  Russell, My Philosophical Development (Spokesman Books, 2007)

Gilbert  Ryle, The Concept of Mind (Routledge, 2009)

Gilbert Ryle, Critical  Essays: Collected Papers, Volume 1 and 2
(Routledge, 2009)

P. F.  Strawson, Individuals (Routledge, 1964)

Ludwig Wittgenstein,  Philosophical Investigations (Various  editions)
Credits
Presenter
Melvyn Bragg
Interviewed  Guest