[lit-ideas] Re: Melbourne, Tristam Shandy and Custer at Gettysburg

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 22:18:51 -0000

Streetmap has some handy little arrows on the sides and corners of its map pages. If what you want to see is just off the map...

Meanwhile...

I wasn't contesting Custer's appearance at Gettysburg (Meade promoted him on the eve of battle), but rather that Lee's real intention was for Picket et al to 'hold' Meade's centre whilst Stuart went round the back and broke it up. For one, Lee wouldn't have used his best and freshest troops for a holding operation (even one that might have got out of control) and for another, Stuart, even with his entire force, couldn't hope to penetrate Meade's line and sustain an attack. The most expected of Stuart was that he would be in a position to spread 'confusion in the union rear and round up fleeing soldiers'. That from Coddington citing Official Records.

Simon
calling the tune in
Dartmoor

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Ritchie" <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>