[lit-ideas] Re: Medscape Poll

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 09:57:34 EDT

I don't know what the policies are in other states. In Missouri, if an
indigent (or even someone with inadequate insurance) has a severe accident or
some
other condition requiring medical care, the hospitals are required to admit
them and care for them.  And generally scoot them out the door far sooner
than they should be.  Forms and papers are offered to obtain medical  payment
assistance but that rarely comes to much fruition.  The client is  simply sent
threatening mails and phone calls and usually (depending on the cost  of the
procedures) eventually sued.  My husband had by-pass surgery several  years
ago.
He had Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance and most decidedly did not  fit the
"indigent" category.  BC/BS assured him they would foot the  bill.  He had the
surgery.  When he filed the claim afterward they  denied it claiming it was a
"pre-existing condition".  He'll be paying the  $30,000 hospital bill in
monthly increments until he dies.  He is now  formally and completely
uninsurable.
If you have a life-threatening  situation you can be seen, and usually stave
off those who would get blood from  a turnip for a fair amount of time.  But
the hospital is required to admit  you.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Medscape Poll
Date: 5/16/06 2:35:24 A.M. Central Daylight Time  From: _rpaul@xxxxxxxxx
(mailto:rpaul@xxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Julie wrote:

> Here hospitals are  required to admit people with accident and emergency
> treatment.   They are simply billed thousands of dollars after
> discharge.  If  they cannot pay up they are sued.

By 'here,' do you mean  Missouri?

Robert  Paul