[lit-ideas] Medieval Studies & the Crusades

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 09:10:04 -0800

 JL,

You write, “re-thinking the Crusade, as Richard the CoeurLion _is_ on my list
of lists! And I wonder what led these people to cross all Europe to restore the
Faith.”

Medieval studies were revolutionized during the twentieth century.  The
historian of that process was Norman Cantor who wrote the excellent, Inventing
the Middle Ages in 1991.  I read it twice, in 1996 and 1999.  He traces the
history and development of the study of the Middle Ages.   He also wrote the
very nice survey, Civilization of the Middle Ages .  This book I read was
published in 1994 and I read it the following year.  I gave up the study of the
Middle Ages after 9/11 as the latter’s implications seemed more pressing and
interesting.  I noticed among other things that the study of the Middle East,
Islam, Islamism, etc., as complicated as that was, was easier than the study of
the Middle Ages.  There is comparatively little to read about the Middle East,
although the literature is growing at a rapid rate, but the material available
on the Middle Ages is vast, and it too is growing.

Cantor is evangelistic about his subject and in the back of both the books I
mention above are appendices entitled “Recommended Reading.”   He is realistic
about the amount of attention others, even other academics, will be inclined to
give his subject so he breaks his Reading list into two categories.  The first
(in Civilization of the Middle Ages) is 14 titles:

“A Short List (14) Titles)

“Here is a short reading program in medieval history that, if mastered, will
make you well informed on the subject, so you can more than hold your own in
any discussion about the European Middle Ages around the faculty lunch table,
in the country club lounge, at a publishing house brainstorming session, in a
church study group, or in an undergraduate or adult education seminar.

“The full bibliographical listing for each book, including the publisher, is
found in the long List that follows.  The books on this short list are all in
print, most of them in paperback, and they can be ordered directly from the
publisher or through your local bookstore.”

I won’t list these books, but I made several attempts to buy them all, but I
discovered that Cantor’s book was first written in 1963 and then rewritten
several times since.  The copy I read was “A completely revised and expanded
edition,”  but he must not have rechecked the availability of the books on his
list because many of them were no longer available.

His long list is 143 titles.  I began buying those as well.  But many of those
were also out of print and unavailable; although I was slowly increasing my
library of medieval history, much as you have been increasing your library of
Loeb Classics.  I also found books published since Cantor wrote.   I can’t say
there is no good reason for being uninformed or misinformed about the Middle
Ages because there is.  Even if all Cantor’s 143 titles were available, it
would take a concerted prolonged effort to read them all.

In regard to the Crusades, Cantor has nothing on his short list, but on his
long list he has The Crusades, a short history by Jonathan Riley-Smith; which I
read in 1999.    He also lists a longer, earlier work (which I didn’t read),
Runciman’s A History of the Crusades in 3 volumes, 1951-54.

Examining his list for books pertaining to your interest, I see  The Origin of
the Idea of Crusade, by Carl Erdmann, a very provocative title and one I
considered getting, but it is $259.80 on Amazon.com,  I didn’t have a limit of
$5.00 as you do with your Loeb Classics, but $259.80 seemed rather steep, and
this was for a used book.  It was no longer in print.  But the “idea of
crusade” was discussed in several of the books I read, so, hopefully, I can do
without Erdmann.    I made a general statement about the Crusades in an earlier
note and apparently surprised Geary who didn’t know that the Crusades were
initiated in response to Islamic aggression and not the reverse.  The crusades
would not have been initiated had not Islamic peoples been bent upon taking
over as much as Europe as possible.

What is confusing in the study of the crusades is that the motivation for them
was varied.  Yes, the Pope was sending them off in response to the request for
help from the Byzantine Church, but Crusaders often had motives of their own.
Some went to make a name for themselves much like the Greeks who went to Troy.
Others went for booty, which was another motivation for going to Troy.  And
many went for religious reasons, especially to free, as they put it, Christ’s
birthplace from the heathen.

The idea that the Crusaders shared equal blame with the invading armies of the
Muslims is intriguing and at least as interesting as the idea of Crusade
itself.   Islam was an aggressive, military force bent upon conquering the
entire world, if they could.  Sayyid Qutb has criticized his weak Muslim
brethren for giving this goal up.  It is Allah’s goal that the entire world be
submissive to him, he writes.  And no Muslim is a true Muslim unless he is
engaged in Jihad.  Well, the Turks were engaged in Jihad when the Crusaders,
rather ineptly confronted them.

Lawrence