[lit-ideas] Re: Me Attacks I Sucessfully

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:36:07 -0500

RP: This nicely illustrates Paul Stone's point that quotation marks make all the difference. I mean, what if I were to attack me?

Not to quibble, but Fowler's uses italics, which I can't reproduce in the text messages.

If I were to attack me, me would be the object of I's acts, and if me did nothing, me would be the object of I's militant, hegemonistic aggression. Yet if me attacked I back, especially in the neighborhood of prepositions, me could be comforted by knowing that me just didn't sit there, passively accepting whatever I did.