[lit-ideas] Re: Maybe Maybe

  • From: jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 15:40:10 -0400

McEvoy:
"'It perhaps that she is a whore' is hardly more grammatical than 'perhaps, she may be a whore' - if it is grammatical at all. Nor is redundancy by way of repetition ungrammatical or even always at all times to be avoided or eschewed."

Yes. Thanks. There was a typo in my previous.

I meant to write:

"It may be ((two words)) that, maybe, she is a whore."

NOT:

"It maybe that maybe she is a whore."

which indeed is ungrammatical.

"'It perhaps that she is a whore' is hardly more grammatical than 'perhaps, she may be a whore' - if it is grammatical at all."

Right. No. They are both ungrammatical.

"It perhaps" doesn´t run. "It may be that she is a whore" does, because "it" agrees with "may". But "perhaps" is a totally otiose construction and so you cannot have "it" agree with it.

"Perhaps, she may be a whore" I find redundant.

"Perhaps she is a whore".

Or

"She is a whore, perhaps".

But surely it is redundant to use a modal "may" WITH "perhaps". The whole POINT of "perhaps" is that the copula, even if in the indicative mode, is like Geary´s "I am guessing she is supposed to be a whore" (cfr. "I am guessing this is supposed to be a humorous insult" -- and especially his reference to Fillmore).

McEvoy goes on to irritatingly quote from Fowler´s misuse of "identity":

P´rhaps = mabbe.

Identity of indescirnibles? Give me a break!

McEvoy ends his note with:

"Nor is redundancy by way of repetition ungrammatical or even always at all times to be avoided or eschewed.""

I see.

But we have levels of acceptability:

She is a whore.
She may be a whore.
Maybe, she is a whore -- This usage is parenthetical. It can change positions:
-- She, maybe, is a whore.
-- She is, maybe, a whore.
-- She is a, maybe, whore.
-- She is a whore, maybe. -- Then we have the combos with "p´rhaps"
-- P´rhaps she is a whore.
-- She p´rhaps is a whore.
-- She is p´rhaps a whore.
-- She is a p´rhaps whore.
-- She is a whore p´rhaps. -- Now this p´rhaps phrase induces a "it happens" clause
-- She MAY happen to be a whore.
-- It may happen that she is a whore.
-- As it MAY happen she is a whore.
-- As it does happen, she MAY be a whore.

The per-haps is thus associated with "hap". Similary, a person to whom things HAPpen, we call HAPpy.

In Italian we don´t have "perhaps". In France, they do:

Peut-etre elle est une putain.

Etc.

J. L. Speranza
 Linguistic Botaniser