[lit-ideas] May Day Baby -- Long Live the Revolution

  • From: "Michael Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LIT-IDEAS" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 14:11:18 -0500

As of 10:37 last night, I am become a proud new grandfather, my first.  Oh what
a fitful little wad of wanting she is.  Screaming and kicking the air and
flailing her fists at the world, poor baby, she doesn't have a clue what's
she's in for.  Her mama, my Shantih, looked like she'd been run over by a
pickup truck when it was over, but she made it through natural torture birth
just as her mother and I had made it through hers 33 years ago (and 2 more to
boot).  I guess it's not fair to say "I made it through", but I did get tired
of breath coaching. Forgive me if I get sentimental here, but I'd forgotten how
cute babies are -- almost as cute as kittens.  But man oh man, was I ever glad
that she was theirs and not mine, that I didn't have twenty-something years
ahead of me of dealing with that bellowing bundle of need.  Mother and child
are physically fine.  Psychologically?  I can only hope they've bonded.
Please, dear God, bond them.
If you want to send a check in celebration of a new human being, make it out to
me and write "Paxton Alexandria" on the For line.  I'll be sure it eventually
gets to her.

Mike Geary
Memphis