[lit-ideas] Re: Masterly (or Personly) Outcomes

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 11:38:46 -0800

On Feb 17, 2007, at 11:07 AM, Judith Evans wrote:

(given the need for a measure that Accreditors will accept....)

the one I'm familiar with is, a 2.1 + an MA pass.  (So, 60 per
cent.  But
that's at least 70 per cent by US measures.)  It was the
requirement for
all courses, not simply undergraduate level ones (in which MA
students
were taught separately).  Had such students read more than
undergraduates
who got a 2.1?  Not necessarily.  Was their work more advanced
than
such undergraduates?  Not necessarily.  After all, universities
need
fee income, also, a "successful" i.e. large + high pass rate
graduate
school brings in government money, too.  (Rant cut.)

I can't remember much of the British system of marking and lots must have changed since I was at Sussex. Thus I can't quite make sense of "a 2.1 + an MA pass." Does this mean that students must have a 2.1 degree before they can enter a master's program or is 2.1 now used as part of a general marking system for essays and such? If the latter is the case, what does "+ an MA pass" mean? And how is this formula 60 percent of something, which will in turn be "at least 70 percent by U.S. measures"

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon