[lit-ideas] Re: Masterly (or Personly) Outcomes

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:26:54 -0800

On Feb 17, 2007, at 12:22 PM, Judith Evans wrote:

1.  Normally, students must have a 2.1 before they enter a
master's programme.
But what I meant was that to gain a master's, students must score
the equivalent of a (n undergraduate)  2.1 both overall (i.e. on
average) and in a specified
number of courses (say, three out of four).
Got it.  Same obtains here--must score a B or higher.

It's 60/100 = 60 per cent.  "Of something". well surely all
academic
systems have that problem?
I wasn't raising any issue, just not quite understanding what you were saying. Thank you for taking the time to explain.

 Because in the US
and Canada, grades tend to be higher.  (**I'm not saying the
standard
is lower, though certainly sometimes it is.**) So -- you might
be interested to know -- US and Canadian Visiting Students here
will be marked
by our rubric but the grade given to their universities will be
*not* the grade (/degree class) that our 35/40/50/60/70 would
get them here, but the one they'd get in the US/Canada.  I.e.,
we'd
adjust upwards.

Inflation is everywhere. My father recently went to my cousin's kid's Masters graduation in Scotland. The cousin got a first in engineering, which my father thought was wonderful. And then he saw how many other firsts had been awarded. Coincidentally, a letter arrived in today's mail, announcing that Emily is a valedictorian...one of sixty (out of five hundred graduating) who got a 4.0 or better. How do you do better than a 4.0? I.B. and some other courses are weighted to encourage students to take difficult courses which might otherwise make them look to college admissions people like duffers who didn't have the sense to take Dust Bunny Studies and save their perfect GPA.

David Ritchie
Master of Dust Bunny Husbandry
Portland, Oregon