[lit-ideas] Re: Marxi's influence in America

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 17:19:20 -0800

Judy wrote:

I don't know how you're dating this, Lawrence. The
Missouri Compromise was certainly "about slavery".

Yes, indeed. It allowed Missouri to enter the Union as a slave state and Maine as a free state. This preserved the balance of power in the Senate between free and slave states.

However, in the Dred Scott decision (1857) the Supreme Court declared the Compromise (1820) unconstitutional. Chief Justice Taney declared that blacks were not and could not become citizens, and that the phrase 'all men are created equal,' did not refer to them. Taney reasoned '[I]t is too clear for dispute, that the enslaved African race were not intended to be included, and formed no part of the people who framed and adopted this declaration…'

Robert Paul
Reed College