[lit-ideas] "Martin Iron"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:03:39 EST

Thanks to L. K. Helm for the link:
_http://bookerrising.blogspot.com/2007/11/country-of-week-argentinas-gaucho.h

tml_
(http://bookerrising.blogspot.com/2007/11/country-of-week-argentinas-gaucho.html)

The Jose Hernandez poem, El Gaucho Martin Fierro, referred to in the

article, has been translated into English:

_http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Fierro-Jose-Hernandez/dp/987113620X/ref=pd_bbs__

(http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Fierro-Jose-Hernandez/dp/987113620X/ref=pd_bbs_)

1?ie=UTF8

<_http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Fierro-Jose-Hernandez/dp/987113620X/ref=pd_bbs_

(http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Fierro-Jose-Hernandez/dp/987113620X/ref=pd_bbs)

_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195054786&sr=1-1> &s=books&qid=1195054786&sr=1-1

"//
I checked the amazon.com link,
but I don't think that *is* the English
translation (but Spanish only). I do
own a bilingual edition, which unfortunately
is not page-by-page, and thus, not too
easy to follow. The English edition
known in Argentina was done by Walter Owen
and published by Blackwell to celebrate the
matriculation in Oxford of the two first
Argentine students

"Thanks to the admirable art of Lady Keeble,
the possibilities of such a translation in
English were brought home to them.
Not long afterwards two members of the
Club Universario, ... proceeded to
England as the first holders of the new Prince
of Wales Scholarships for Argentine students
at Oxford. The happy thought arose that in
the circumstances the story of "Martin Fierro"
should become known to the English pulbic
through Oxford, the traditional "home of
lost causes", in some sense to celebrate the
matriculation there of the two first
students from the land of Martin Fierro."

"Martin Iron" is a pun on the poem's name, and the name
of a polo team in Argentina, based at the Hurlingham Club
in the Province of Buenos Aires -- where actually
The Prince of Wales (who abdicated) and the current
Price of Wales _both_ played polo (at different times).

The team -- composed of Francisco Ceballos,
Ramon Videla Dorna, Capt. Justo Jose Galarreta,
and Maj. Enrique Padilla) took the Argentine
Open Championship.

While I love the Martin Fierro and grant it 'epical'
status, my favourite gauchesque thing is this
novel by ranch-owner dandy Ricardo Guiraldes,
"Don Segundo Sombra".

Cheers,

JL
   Buenos Aires, Argentina