[lit-ideas] Re: Marriage Licenses

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 21:42:21 -0700

On Sep 9, 2011, at 8:22 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

> Veronica wrote
>>>
>>> I can't imagine a Catholic, Protestant or Jewish clergy person officiating
>>> at a marriage without a state license.  It's required.
>
> David Ritchie wrote
>
>> Perhaps in your state.  Not so, California:
>>
>> http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/Pages/FAQforMarriageLicenseCeremonyInfo.aspx
> I went to that very site and found
>
> 'Do I have to review the marriage license prior to solemnizing the marriage?
> 'Yes. The marriage license must be reviewed by the marriage officiant prior
> to solemnizing the marriage. Any person who solemnizes a marriage without
> first reviewing the license is guilty of a misdemeanor (Penal Code, Section
> 360).'
> I'm sure the statute of limitations has run out.
> Robert Paul

Before, after, high tide, low tide, when the surf's up, it's up.  Next thing
you're gonna tell me they're enforcing traffic laws in Bev. H. (CA),
"Excuse me [insert name of famous person here] you failed to come to a full and
complete stop," says reliable officer who takes seriously the fact that he has
been hired to protect and serve.
"Have you seen my underpants?" asks [famous person]. "I think I lost them at
the last intersection."
"Blimey," responds reliable officer who has been hired to p and s, "I believe
distinctions among thinking and imagining and remembering have been well
explored, with considerable wotsit, 'acumen' possibly is the word I want... in
[insert name of famous philosophical text here]."

Veronica, clearly your state is safe from Robert Burns' early issues about
whether or not he was married to Jean Armour, after he had made Elizabeth Paton
pregnant and before his relationship with Mary Campbell.  The question I pass
over lightly was serious, especially, for example, for Jean Armour's dad.  Back
when my wife and I were married, I was astonished by California's attitude that
the state had no duty to inquire into the nature of the ceremony.  As far as
the state of California was concerned, one ceremony was absolutely equal to
another.

And why not?  Well because in a case I can't bring to mind--law school was a
long time ago--a woman who had married in Scotland, and then lived in Wales,
was refused some kind of settlement (divorce possibly..., but how would a
commoner get a divorce) on the grounds that her marriage in Scotland had no
standing, was not proper in England.

Today apparently some Scots, possibly all, (I don't know whether such
regulations can be local) have followed California's example:
http://www.orkney.com/b/Orkney+Pagan+Weddings

David Ritchie,
among pagans in
Portland, Oregon