[lit-ideas] Marmaduke Bloggs

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 09:32:50 -0400 (EDT)

Or the man who climbed Mt. Everest, on hands and knees.

Grice, The Unpublications

In a message dated 6/10/2012 6:07:18 A.M. UTC-02, donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
 writes:
>>"speranza does not exists [sic], extemporary notes on the  relevance of
non implicated facts"
>If JLS hasn't read it, it doesn't exist. Must be fake.*
*Experts can  deduce this from the title, for Grice was fluent in English
whereas the title  would appear to [be] badly translated from [the] Chinese.

When Horn was writing (as opposed to speaking) on negation, he mentioned
"unpublication" by Grice. So we did a little research.

Grandy/Warner  were compiling a list of "The Publications of H. P. Grice",
for the PGRICE  festschrifft ("Philosophical Grounds of Rationality:
Intentions, Categories,  Ends" -- note the acronym PGRICE -- Clarendon Press
had
said: "No way Grice can  feature in the title of the book: nobody buys
festschrifts"). It came out as  "The Publications of H. P. Grice". On the
opposite
page, Grandy/Warner have what  they call:

"The 'Unpublications' of H. P. Grice" _sic_ in scare quotes. In "Reply to
Richards", Grice writes that the number of his unpublications by far exceeds
 that of his publications.

We discussed, briefly, with Horn, the meaning of 'unpublication'. As Horn
interprets the term, it means a paper by Grice which has not been published.
 Note that 'un-' can have broader meaning, as in unGod. And so on.

Grice has a paper on "Vacuous Names" -- a publication rather. He was
careful about questions about alleged non-existentials. "Pegasus does not
exist", for example, is treated implicaturally as meaning: "Pegasus is no
spatio-temporal continuant". Grice's example is "Marmaduke Bloggs", the
Merseyside
geographer who climbed up Mt Everest on hands and knees". The  Merseyside
Geographical Society is having a meeting in his honour. At the  meeting, the
following conversation takes place:

"But you know Marmaduke Bloggs doesn't exist."

"What do you mean?"

"He doesn't. He was invented by the journalists."

"So someone will not be attending this party."

"I don't think you've heard what I've just said: Marmaduke Bloggs does not
exist."

"I did hear you distinctly."

Grice is arguing that, even in the scenario where Marmaduke Bloggs does not
 exist (-Vx.Ax), one is allowed, by account of the inference rule, to
proceed to  substitute quantificationally: "Someone won't be attending this
party". This for  Grice stems from the fact that, explicaturally, "-"
(negation)
always has  maximal scope ("It is not the case that someone will be
attending the party").  Grice notes that his account of 'vacuous names' (and
'descriptions') in no way  creates a Meinongian jungle.

And so on.

Cheers,

Speranza