[lit-ideas] Marius the Epicurean

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 07:52:41 EST

In Victorian Oxford, in the middle of the  controversy about sexuality and
the rest of it, Walter Pater who we wouldn't  describe as a 'novelist' comes
out
with this "Marius the Epicurean" which I  haven't yet read.

But the topic interests me. We hear of Stoicism  as being the "Roman frame of
mind" per excellence, but I think it was  Epicureanism, rather and its Greek
root -- this relates to instant gratification  provided by Gruyer where you
find it.

But it also points to the complexity of a  philosophical system that it's
usually simplified, epicureanism, or as I prefer,  "The Garden of Delights".

Maj. Geary's Mentee, Ain't she noumenal --  Gruyere; or Instant Gratification
Postponed -The Anti-Epicurus & Why He Is  Wrong

"I, for one, am enjoying this discussion.  It does make me glad I didn't
major in philosophy."

You see what I say, R.  Paul?

Geary did not major in philosophy, so (while he does), others idem  (e.g.
McCreery but he did major in philosophy, right) think they can enjoy a  nice
wrestle.

Philosophers (and that must be  the 'philo' in them, rather than the
'sophers') are in LOVE with tradition --  especially PLATONIC, since he
_invented_
philosophy (which has been, since,  footnotes to Plato, Whitehead said).

Also, the tutorial thing is  UNIQUE to philosophy. What other tradition do we
have that, say, a dentist can  claim to have become a dentist via tutorials
with his mentor, another dentist!

Most professions -- incl.  wrestlers -- don't _care_.

--- * In myth., Mentor was a Athena  disguised as a male
to serve as the tutor of  Telemachus.

Saving the Phenomena (Was: Patricia Routldege and Philosophy

"In the
order that I like them: Monty Python, Black Adder, Fawlty  Towers, the Young
Ones, Absolutely Fabulous, Red Dwarf, Rising Damp, Keeping  Up Appearances,
As Time Goes By, and Are You Being Served.  My favorite  American sitcom is
The Office. "

I wonder if 'keep up appearances" is a mistranslation in Apollodorus for  'to
save the
phenomena".

While we're at it,

why do we say

      Paris Hilton -- she's _phenomenal_.

Geary says it's because she's different (in "looks") from Emily Dickinson  (I
agree).

But I suppose, figuratively, we can also  wax admiratically about the latter,

     "Emily Dickinson -- she's *phenomenal*.

One problem with American culture is that they don't recognise "noumenal"  as
a praise word.

"Obviously, cheese is not for those among us who don't have time to
wait for instant gratification."

I agree. Although there's always somebody already having the ready Gruyeres
for us,
so there _is_ instant Gratification.

Nobody really can _contradict_ Epicurus. His school was called "The
Gardeners",
because to avoid problems with the State (like Aristotle had with his
Peripatos)
he gathered with others in his (Epicurus's) garden.

You cannot blame a non-concern for poverty in that it contradicts
instant gratification. Think Angelina Jolie.

Cheers

J. L. Speranza
   Back to the Swimming Pool

products.