[lit-ideas] Re: Marian McPartland 1918-2013

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 15:57:44 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 8/22/2013 9:09:41 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Well, I think that we can all consult Wiki,  cannot we ?

Well, I'm sorry you see it that way.

In following R. Paul's link, I made a special focus on McPartland as a
song-writer and came up with the title to FIVE of her compositions*, which I do
 not THINK are mentioned in the obituary.

I offered them for the record in case some one was (or is, or will be)
interested in following the thread and come up with an explicit account of her
contribution as a lyricist.

Note that my slogan applies: there is an IMPLICATURE to each title of each
song.

"In the days of our love"

as opposed to

"the days of THEIR love".

"With you in mind" -- as opposed to the implicated, "with you OUT of my
mind".

and so on.

I'm less sure about the implicature to 'Ambience' or 'Twilight World', but
Geary may come up with some. Or not.

Cheers,

Speranza

*"[McPartland's] compositions included
"Ambiance," "There'll Be  Other Times," "With You In Mind," "Twilight
World," and
"In the Days  of Our Love.""