[lit-ideas] Re: Manly Flowers

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 18:35:44 -0800

Thank you for your suggestions.  What about lilac: sturdy but flexible,
briefly spectacular and scented, but mostly green and dependable?

It turns out that I shall have to make do with naked tips and anonymous
blooms, with the stems sticking provocatively out of crinkly wrap.

I took a call early this morning.  It was the agency with whom I had agreed
a price for the flowers and with whom I thus had a contract.  Yes, they
said, the Spring bouquet was supposedly on its way, nearing the Azores
perhaps, but the British florist had baulked at having to provide a vase.
To include a ninety cent plastic vase in the deal would, in the British
view, require a doubling of the agreed price.

I said I understood what hard times the British were going through, what
with so much energy going into this year's public convenience of the year
competition and so on, and that I thought naked would do; I agreed that the
stems could be sent potless, sans vase.

Just as long as they deliver the things soon.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon