[lit-ideas] Re: Manethoniana

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 17:18:30 -0500

Geary:

"it's possible that the Egyptians of old may well have been  lovers of
barbecue" also spelt "abracot", "and that it was the barbecue that  made the
city of Memphis, Egypt, a city of good abode."

In a message dated 2/16/2015 3:07:45 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx writes about the three egyptologists who founded
New
Memphis: Overton, Winchester, and Jackson.

It all happened on May 22, 1819.

The three of them were present, and so were their wives.

Their idea was clear. They had all read Manetho.

Based on the strategic position of New Memphis at the head of the  delta of
the Mississippi River which was referred to by explorers as  the "American
Nile", the new city was named after the ancient capital  of Egypt which
happened to be located, also at the head of the delta of the  Nile.

Geary, "Indeed, Memphis ... has Overton Park and Overton Square in honor of
 our father John Overton; we have Winchester Blvd. in honor of [our second
father] James Winchester and we have Jackson Avenue in honor of [our third
father] Andrew Jackson."

"We also have a ... Pyramid which is the 6th largest pyramid in the world
-- 392 ft. high, and 591 feet at the base." From Greek pyramis, "a pyramid,"
an  alteration of Egyptian "pimar", "pyramid."

"We also have an obelisque", erected in 1928. From Greek obeliskos,
diminutive of "obelos" "a spit, pointed pillar, needle", mainly seen in Egypt.

which is all all rightly Egyptian in spirit, as it should.

Throughout her history, the citizens of New Memphis have maintained  their
connection with Old Memphis through the years.

Besides the pyramid and the obelisk mentioned by Geary, we should not
forget that in 1917 Robert Galloway, chairman of the Memphis Park  Commission,
presented two large quartzite blocks to the city of Memphis.

These two blocks were originally a part of a palace in old Memphis (they
were bought from the Egyptians by Galloway, and brought to New Memphis by
ship)  are nicely decorated with figures and inscriptions of the 26th Dynasty
(ca. 550  B.C.E.) Pharaoh Amasis.

In the 1970s, a generous donation from E.H. Little made possible the
acquisition of 44 Egyptian artifacts, ranging in date from 3600 B.C.E. to the
seventh century C.E..

In 1983, the first installation of the ancient Egyptian collection  occured.

In 1993, the Great Hypostyle Hall Project at Karnak, Egypt  (project
director: William Murnane) is initiated by the Institute of Egyptian  Art &
Archaeology.

 In 1995, the Amenmesse Project (KV 10), in the Valley of the Kings
(project director Otto Schaden) is initiated and sponsored by the Institute of
Egyptian Art & Archaeology.

In 1996, L. H. Corcoran curates an exhibition on hieroglyphs in  New
Memphis.

In 2001, S. Harvey and M. Hartwig publish the catalogue of "Gods of
Memphis".

In 2003, Lorelei Corcoran, of New Memphis, initiates a co-operative
project with the Italian Archaeological Mission to Luxor, Tomb of Harwa
(project
director Francesco Tiradritti.

In 2006, tomb 63 is discovered in the Valley of the Kings thanks to  the
Institute.

In 2010, there is a new display cases for mummies installed in New  Memphis.

In 2012, the cast of colossal statue of Ramesses II is moved from downtown
New Memphis to the "campus"

Cheers,

Speranza

---