[lit-ideas] Mairzy Doats

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 17:35:05 EDT

In a message dated 8/25/2010 5:06:20  P.M., rpaul@xxxxxxxx writes:
I used to hear this on the jukebox and on the  radio. We thought it was
pure Glaswegian.

-----

I thought of it, too. Part of the problem is 'logic', or 'semantic', rather
 than Glasgwegian proper, though.

The propositions expressed being:

i. Mairzy doats

and

ii. Dozy doats

and

iii. liddle lamzy divey

This has the form "p & q & r".

A fourth proposition is introduced as:

iv. A [i.e. some] kiddley divey too.

While the truth-conditions may, eventually, be transparent enough, it's
different with the truth-VALUE.

We have oats -- and the statement that mares and does eat them (oats). But
then horses and deers eat them, too, we expect -- so the narrowing of the
existential scope (or universal scope) of the quantifier -- for the 'natural
 kind' -- equus -- say -- triggers the implicature.

If a mare eats oats -- does this implicate that a horse doesn't?
If a doe earts oats (how many of them) -- does this implicate a deer does
not?

---- We don't think so.

The introduction of a THIRD species (equine, 'lamb' -- here qualified as
'liddle') brings some element of contrast. These are said to eat a different
'vegetal' or vegetable -- the ivy -- not the poisoned type. This seems to
be not  just underinformative (as "mares eats (how many?) oats", as "does
do") but plain  false. I suppose lambs DO eat 'ivy' -- not VERY little, but
reasonably little. A  VERY little lamb possibly could not digest ivy -- Mammals
on the whole -- hence  the name -- are fed on milk up to the time when they
are weaned.

The fourth proposition changes the 'chronological' scheme. It's 'will'. A
'kid'. This now turns metaphorical.  As in "off the pigs" (did he mean to
kill the cop?). In this case, 'kid' is used, by the Glaswegian, not to mean
'homo sapines' (fig.), but a little goat.

A little goat (kid) WILL eat ivy, too -- i.e. as a little lamb does. The
most obnoxious bit is the tag, 'wouldn't you?'.

The Japanese just danced to the tune.

Speranza -- Bordighera