[lit-ideas] Re: Magritte on Spinoza

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:42:43 EST

<<I am  very leery of dialogical 'explanations' of 'non-dialogical' works=20=
of  art; even those 'connected' with some piece or collection  of=20
'dialogue'.>>
I'm curious to know what you think of  Foucault's comments on the piece?
Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Magritte on
Spinoza  Date: 11/18/04 3:52:50 PM Central Standard Time  From:
_bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 18. Nov 2004, at 01:56, Ursula Stange  wrote:

> I've been looking at Magritte's painting entitled  "Spinoza."
> Truly, I don't get it.   What was Magritte  thinking?

The best representation of what Magritte was thinking is to be  found  at

http://images.google.com/images?q=3DMagritte+Spinoza&ie=3DISO-8859-1&hl=3D=
en

What  I'm trying to say is that (I think that) what Magritte thought  was=20=

that painting - or, at least, the best (re)presentation of what  he=20
thought is that painting; just as the best (re)presentation of  what=20
Spinoza was thinking when he wrote his _Ethics_ is  -  surprise,=20
surprise - his _Ethics_.

I am very leery of dialogical  'explanations' of 'non-dialogical' works=20=

of art; even those  'connected' with some piece or collection of=20
'dialogue'.  If Magritte  had wished to write a dissertation on Spinoza=20=

he would have done  so.  He painted a painting.  Some may well attempt=20
some sort of  verbal representation or rough equivalent of Magritte's=20
non-verbal essay -  but I would be highly suspicious of any claim that=20
that is what Magritte  *thought*:  In fact, those suspicions extend to=20
what *artists  themselves* say about their creations, or 'what they had=20=

in mind' as  they created them.

Mind you, I'm *not* saying that dialogue generated by  Magritte's=20
painting has no value.  Indeed, when I have time I will  post a few of=20
my thoughts (expressed verbally) which have arisen on  viewing=20
Magritte's 'Spinoza' in (temporal) proximity to a couple of  quotations=20=

- one from, and the other about, Spinoza.

Here, at  least, are the quotations:

"=85 if there is but one substance, and this  is the whole of reality, it=20=

is clear that what one ordinarily calls  things, including our=20
individual selves, cannot be substances.   Spinoza calls them 'modes'."

"Thinking substance and extended substance  are one and the same=20
substance which is now comprehended under this  attribute, now under=20
that."

Maybe someone else would like to have a  go at linking those quotes to=20
the painting.  I'll have time to  compose my posting at the beginning of=20=

next week.

Chris  Bruce
Kiel,  Germany