[lit-ideas] Re: Madness, Foucault, Nietzsche & Emerson

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 15:54:46 +0000 (GMT)

I'm not sure, Chris.  (The Wikipedia piece is, indeed, unhelpful.)  I need to
think about this.

But though I'm not sure how to categorise Foucault, I am pretty sure about
Madness and Civilization.  At least, I'm sure it isn't postmodernist as Eric
seems to be using the term.  Admittedly when I read it -- in the late Sixties
or early Seventies -- it was possible simply to read it, without having to see
it as post-modernist or not.  (It could simply be seen as post-structuralist,
perhaps.) And that does make a difference.

The Birth of the Clinic is even less "post".

The Stanford entry on Foucault is of course better

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/foucault/

> post-post-modernist

quite.

Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK