[lit-ideas] Re: Madness, Foucault, Nietzsche & Emerson

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 14:59:13 -0800

Eric,

After reading "Madness and Civilization" I began accumulating books by
Foucault planning for the "rainy day," but thus far I have not managed to
complete any of them for some of the reasons you indicate.  Still, for
Foucault to argue that the reality or sense of morality of a madman is as
legitimate as that of one sane is provocative.   If "reason" is an
imposition upon the "unreasonable" (or rationality upon irrationality) by
the bourgeoisie then it is at least interesting to imagine a counter-factual
society in which Foucault's irrationality rules -- but we don't learn what
it might be from Foucault, at least I haven't for he doesn't precisely
advocate it.  He merely denies the right of the rational to lock it up.

I liked your definition of Postmodernism as the "snarky guy at a party who
enjoys dominating by sarcasm but adds nothing to the event."  I had a recent
encounter with just such a snarky guy, the guy who took my argument about
the continued usability of old Olympus cameras off into a quibble about the
meaning of the word "obsolete" claiming to quote the OED as his authority.
He covered everything with a brass-colored coat of sarcasm that wasn't open
to either reason or rationality.  He hasn't done anything illegal other than
stalking me off line to pursue his quibble and to try to bully me into
accepting it.  In the end I did something like what Foucault accuses
Capitalism of doing.  I "locked him up" in a manner of speaking by telling
him to quit writing to me.  I would gladly have packed him off on a ship of
fools if that had been one of my options.

Lawrence