[lit-ideas] Re: Madness, Foucault, Nietzsche & Emerson

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 10:52:43 +0000 (GMT)

I didn't discuss Foucault's writings as a whole, Walter. My claim -- qualified
by a comment about the intellectual climate when I first read him -- is that
Madness and Civilization and The Birth of the Clinic are not postmodernist.  At
least, I claimed that they were "(not postmodernist) as Eric seems to be using
the term".

I'd add, I think, "and as Donal is".

My main aim in posting was to encourage people who might be deterred by attacks
on postmodernism and allegations of relativism à l'outrance to ignore them,
and, well, read Madness and Civilization.

I do though stand by my claims.

Judy Evans, Cardiff.