[lit-ideas] Re: "Mad dogs, and Englishmen"

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 01:43:34 +0100

Jac> and refers to a book on punctuation.

nothing to do with Mad Dogs really JL -- I just thought the book might
interest you.

Jac> I was wondering if there is a search engine that is
Jac> comma-sensitive? I was trying to look for actual occurrences of
Jac> Judy's proposal, "Mad dogs, and Englishmen" -- but failed...

there won't be one - Coward didn't put a comma there..

Jac> there is the underlying Jac> obvious simile, "Englishmen _are_
Jac>like mad dogs".

how rude...    I think really it's the English resistance to a siesta
he has in mind!  and that you've thought of one implicature too many.
But I don't actually know.

Jac> I suppose that one of Sir Noel's _implicatures_ is that Englishmen (_in
Jac> toto_ -- including Englishwomen, I suppose) are -- in some sense -- like
"mad
Jac> dogs". And that you have to be a bit _mad_ to be like a "mad dog". So
while I
Jac> agree with Judy that it's "mad dogs, and Englishmen", there is the
underlying
Jac> obvious simile, "Englishmen _are_ like mad dogs".

--  Best regards,  Judy
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx