[lit-ideas] Re: "Mad dogs, and Englishmen"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 20:27:23 EDT

We are discussing the syntax -- and punctuation -- of Coward's classic  song,

J. Evans writes:

>He meant 2).  Mad dogs, and Englishmen.

and refers to a book on punctuation.

Thank you, Judy.

I was wondering if there is a search engine that is comma-sensitive? I was
trying to look for actual occurrences of Judy's proposal, "Mad dogs, and
Englishmen" -- but failed...

I suppose that one of Sir Noel's _implicatures_ is that Englishmen (_in
toto_ -- including Englishwomen, I suppose) are -- in some sense -- like "mad
dogs". And that you have to be a bit _mad_ to be like a "mad dog". So while I
agree with Judy that it's "mad dogs, and Englishmen", there is the underlying
obvious simile, "Englishmen _are_ like mad dogs".

Cheers,

J. L.